Sunday, January 9, 2011

Workaholic

I´m my own boss and I just gave myself my longest vacations in eight years. During the first week of my six week vacation I continued the usual routine of going straight to my desk to plan first thing in the morning. Workshops, schedules, events... there´s a lot of planning in my work. After years of running a full time Mon-Fri art center for kids, I know that good planning is the key to a productive year.

But it was time to take a break. I´m a workaholic and I wasn´t going to stop working just for my vacation, something had to happen. And it did. One week into it and my mac broke down. The screen went green and stripey. There was nothing we could do about. It´s six years old. Death is imminent.

So I took it as a sign. I told my son to plan our entire month in his notebook. We took daytrips, went swimming, visited friends and had a great time. I drank beer with lunch and slept past seven! The weeks went by and I made sure to enjoy every day so that this vacation wouldn´t slide by without my even noticing.

Today is Sunday and we start classes tomorrow. I opened up my mac, turned it on, and voilá - it´s working again! No more green stripes, magically. I thanked my wise friend (mac) for making me take a break, disconnecting and slowing everything down. I´m rested and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment